Friday, 23 April 2010

Olly the Owl!


All finished! Olly was made from a pattern by Laura Lang in Issue 15 of The Knitter, with slight variations, by me! The yarn was supposed to be double knitting, but I decided to use 4ply sock wool instead, and changed to 2.75mm needles accordingly. The wool I used is Regia ponpons, and regia design line 'easter'. there were supposed to be rows of garter stitch to give the owl feather like texture, which I omitted, as I wanted a smooth finish. He was supposed to have knitted feet and a knitted beak, but I decided I would prefer no feet (not necessary, in my opinion) and a felt beak.



To finish his bum you decreased rapidly, then drew the stitches together, this made a nice flat base, but as you can see abit of an untidy finish. I need to weave some yarn thru the holes to fill them in and neaten up ooor Ollys bottom to prevent any hernias!




I was quite pleased about how well I managed to match the repeats in the striped yarn as I had to use two pieces either side of the block of ponpon for his tummy, and I was suprised how easy intarsia was, this was my first attempt and no holes!!!



twit twooooooo!

2 comments:

  1. I wrote a lovely long comment on this last night and it hasn't gone in!!!! Nice to see him finished, he needs a mate so we can then have a Plop! I think the bobbly tum works well and he looks good smooth. Not sure the beak is Min proof though! I want one too Mummy please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. no the beak isn't min proof!!! she managed to twiddle it upside down! I am going to get some fabric glue I think and stick it down flat! I could set up a plop shop I think, I have had alot of ooohhhs and ahhhs over Olly the owl! (ps we may be able to arrange one to come and live with you, depends how long the scalf takes! I enjoyed making him and won't mind making a few more :-))

    ReplyDelete